|SECON’s GIS Capabilities for the Gas Industry
SECON’s GIS capabilities for the Gas Industry follow a three – tiered program for total facilities creation and maintenance. The three tiers are:
- Landbase Creation – SECON’s GIS technicians develop a comprehensive Land Information System by creating street centerline and parcel coverage. Our technicians use either aerial imagery to create the Centerline coverage or digitize directly from existing plat maps. After the creation of the Centerline coverage, SECON geo-references the centerline data to the real world coordinates required by the customer. The next step is to create the Parcel coverage. The Parcel coverage displays the land ownership boundaries. SECON digitizes this data directly from existing plat maps or use our experience to create the parcel data using COGO (Coordinate Geometry) input. Using planimetric data from aerial imagery, we create contour lines that can be used to visualize the landbase in both two-dimension and three-dimension.
SECON also creates detailed base maps for cities using Satellite imagery and aerial photographs.
- Facilities Conversion/Maintenance – After the creation of Landbase, SECON begins the process of converting the gas distribution/transmission facilities to GIS. As within other industries, creation of the facilities GIS begins with a thorough understanding of the existing facilities data and how the resulting data will fit into GIS. SECON’s extensive experience in the Gas and Oil industries uniquely allow us to understand the customer’s needs and we are able to quickly create the symbology required for the conversion. This part of creating an enterprise GIS is most labor intensive, as the quality of data must be maintained. SECON’s technicians quickly determine the most efficient way to make the facilities data fit the existing landbase. Again, SECON digitizes from existing facilities maps, or input the data from measured distances or angles of co-ordinates. The latter technique provides the most accurate facilities data possible. Upon completion of the conversion, SECON also maintains the data for the customer.
- Software Application Development – Our software engineers develop web-enabled or desktop applications for clients that allow them to visualize the converted data for both the landbase and facilities. These applications are customized to suit client requirements. Sample requirements may include:
- GIS facilities management
- GIS Customer Service applications
- GIS fault tracing and reporting
- Mobile GIS (Pocket PC) metering and facilities management
An additional service offered by SECON includes:
- Web-enabled GIS application hosting and data maintenance
SECON has state-of-the-art infrastructure with significant security controls, redundant power and internet facilities. SECON can also host web-enabled GIS applications on the following platforms:
- ESRI - ArcGIS Server, ArcIMS and ArcSDE